The beauty of the eye is sometimes affected by birth defects, injuries, acquired illnesses, or changes associated with aging, causing a great deal of psychological and social suffering of the individual and his surroundings as well as visual impairment. Examples of these problems include:
- Occlusion of the eyelids, especially in children.
- Curvature of the eyelid edge (in or out).
- Fatty clusters in the eyelids.
- Atrophy of the eye or exophthalmos.
- Diseases of the lacrimal system such as clogged lacrimal ducts.
- Congenital eyelid deformity associated with age.